Sunday, January 5, 2014

Unit Structures (Cecil Taylor, 1966)


I'm not sure I am 100% on board with avant-garde and free jazz, but I'm still in a "discerning" stage when it comes to jazz appreciation, so I pick up all types from the library. My colleague says this kind of music stresses him out and I have to agree that this isn't the kind of music you get work done to. It demands a lot from the listener.

Cecil Taylor often gets lumped in with Ornette Coleman, the standard-bearer of the Free Jazz movement. However Coleman generally omitted chord-playing instruments from his work, whereas Taylor, a pianist, presents a largely piano-dominated sound. Don't worry, though. There are plenty of squeaky horns.

There's probably better people out there to debate the merits and background of this music, so I will keep it brief here and leave it at that. I've got plenty of time to explore and ruminate about jazz in the coming year!

No comments:

Post a Comment