Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Allman Brothers Band (1969)


It's been a busy day, so not a lot of time to put thoughts into pixels. Isn't that how it always goes as the new year progresses? I'm shocked I've almost made it to the 10th and kept up with all of my resolutions.

What can I say about this album? It's probably still my favorite, with my only criticism being it's way too short! I'm probably going to be sent to Allman Bros. fan hell for saying this, but even "At Fillmore East" falls short of this. Maybe it's a product of the times, falling at a key crossroad between the demise of psychedelia and garage, combined with the rise of the "Southern Rock" sound. Engineer Tom Dowd hadn't even got his hands on the band yet, so there's a certain rawness in the first album you don't hear of subsequent releases. Also no Dickie Betts tunes to be found here.

Acquiring the album was a bit of a process. I picked up a few tracks through a free "greatest hits" compilation from my bookstore days. In fact it covered 5 of the 7 tracks. I think I iTune'd the other two, which turned out to be premature on my part because I later picked up a combo set of the first two albums from the library last year. Oh well, I've come out so far ahead I can hardly complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment