Sunday, January 5, 2014

Icky Thump (The White Stripes, 2007)


I wasn't an "original" White Stripes fan, being one of many people who heard "Fell In Love With A Girl" back around 2002 and dutifully purchased each studio album as it came out from that point onward. Another confession: I still haven't got the first two albums. I think I may have stumbled on the first album in 1999 back in the college radio circuit, but I don't remember anything more than that.

Icky Thump was the final White Stripes album (for now anyway). It's a mixed bag, but most of their albums have their share of highlights and filler. Also as usual it's about 95% Jack, 5% Meg, though he did manage to make his first solo album sounds different from a White Stripes album, so maybe that's just how Jack is. There are lots of keyboards on this and most of the songs don't sound like just two people playing. Even with all of the added stuff, the White Stripes were the heart of the "new garage" scene of the last decade and they are still greatly missed.

Icky Thump was one of the first albums I ever downloaded from iTunes, marking a big leap in my ownership mentality of "if I don't have the CD, then I don't have it", which would in turn lead to a dramatic expansion in my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment