Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Blues and the Abstract Truth (Oliver Nelson, 1961)


Back to jazz and me repeating the disclaimer that I am a total jazz novice. I can only discuss what I know.

What's remarkable about this album is that it is STACKED. Even a jazz infant like myself knows that if you get Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, and Roy Haynes into one room and your name isn't Miles Davis, you have pulled off an amazing feat. Not only did Nelson pull them all together, but he also managed to record an amazing album.

However, Nelson himself is a bit of a puzzle. This album completely towers over the rest of his work. With many jazz artists I like, the first question I have is "what album should I get next?", but with Nelson, I can't seem to figure out what else of his is worth tracking down.

As with many jazz albums, all the personnel except for Haynes are dead (and at a young age to boot, except for Hubbard). Haynes, bizarrely enough, is known to a number of people as the DJ from the jazz station in Grand Theft Auto IV.

No comments:

Post a Comment