Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Earthquake Album (Various Artists, 1990)

And so we begin 2014 with a compilation! Can one say the first album of the year sets the tone for the rest of the year? 2013 launched with the Eric Burdon Band’s marginal Sun Secrets, so I suppose I can blame everything that went wrong on that. With the Earthquake Album launching 2014, we may be in for some interesting times. If I recall correctly, I picked this up from a bargain bin around 1995 or 1996 while in college.



Before we begin, check out The Official Website for Rock Aid Armenia, which brings things up to date and makes some sense out of where everybody's mind was at in 1990. Also see my note below. Apparently the version on my CD is very edited and remixed (poorly) compared to the version shown above.

The Earthquake Album was just one a few all-star music projects to provide aid to earthquake ravaged Armenia in 1990. What better way to bring people together than an all-star jam version of Smoke on the Water? As we have seen from a number of “supergroups” and other ill-advised projects, taking 3/5 of the original Deep Purple lineup (Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore, possibly Jon Lord), plus Geoff Downes, David Gilmour, Bruce Dickinson, Brian May, etc. etc. and so forth does not necessarily result in an improved product. Even fact, I venture to say that as heartfelt a gesture as it was (this may be the only time Ritchie and Ian came anywhere near each other during this shaky period in Deep Purple history), the end result is pretty cheesy.

Appended to this is a slightly weird selection of songs that I can best compare to some of the mix tapes I made in high school. So without further ado, here are some music confessions (or just observations) I make to start the new year. By the by, those numbers in parentheses are the number of tracks by this artist I have in my library:

1)    Smoke on the Water ’90 (Rock Aid Armenia): I have nine versions of this song, all of them by Deep Purple except for three by Ian Gillan and this one. Frankly, I’m surprised it’s so few. I’m itching to hear the version by Black Sabbath circa 1983. (1)
2)    All Right Now (Free): This is a radio edited version. Radio versions are almost always worse and this is not an exception. I only have one other song by Free (a live Mr. Big), which has long been a glaring omission in my music library. (2)
3)    The Spirit of Radio (Rush): I may be the only person on earth whose one Rush album in the Peart-less first album. Someday I will venture further. Someday. (9)
4)    Since You’ve Been Gone (Rainbow): The compilation was designed for European audiences, so a Rainbow track is essential, while most Americans think of gay rights. Of course they chose the most radio-friendly track they ever recorded, making one long for the Dio era. I proudly own every Rainbow album except the elusive “Finyl Vinyl” and the post-Purple “Stranger In Us All”. (66)
5)    Headless Cross (Black Sabbath): Technically this was Sabbath’s latest album at the time of the compilation’s release, so while every other band here goes toward classic cuts we get something from one of their most forgettable albums. Oops. (151)
6)    Turn It On Again (Genesis): The sole Genesis track in my music library. Phil Collins appears as a sideman on numerous other songs by other artists from back in the day. (1)
7)    Owner of a Lonely Heart (Yes): Yes is one of those bands I should like more than I actually do. However this track (which inspires incredible rage from die-hard fans) probably doesn’t help that argument. (10)
8)    Fanfare for the Common Man (Emerson, Lake & Palmer): Another radio edit that removes the best part! Along with Yes, my ELP knowledge is limited, but I eventually picked up the full version from the library. Though the album (Works, Vol. 1) is a disappointment, it’s probably the best track on there. (29)
9)    Fool For Your Loving (Whitesnake): Again, this is a European compilation, so instead of the synthetic remake from 1989, this is the real 1982 version. This version is much tighter and, frankly, less androgynous than the one you hear on US radio. (16)
10)    Heat of the Moment (Asia): The supergroup of supergroups! I finally broke down and picked up this album (their first one) from the library. For zero dollars and zero cents, it’s a priceless (literally) piece of 1980’s nostalgia. (10)
11)    We Built This City (Starship): Yeah, I don’t understand why the compiler needed to add some of these out of left field pop numbers, but there you have it. The old Jefferson Starship literally broke its name in half, so I don’t consider this to be the same group, even though they share a Grace Slick and some other assorted people. (1)
12)    Juke Box Hero (Foreigner): I’ve always felt Foreigner sounded like latter-day Rainbow (this isn’t a bad thing), but they are about 1000 times better known in the USA. (1)
13)    Run To The Hills (Iron Maiden): These days Iron Maiden seems to have finally achieved general acceptance in the US on a level not seen since the actual 1980’s, but around the time this compilation came out, its inclusion may have seemed strangely out of place. (241)
14)    Black Night (Deep Purple): While this is a wonderful, silly early single from Deep Purple, any American listeners would only recognize Hush and Smoke on the Water. Too bad – this one is better than either of those! (332)
15)    Silent Running (Mike + the Mechanics): What the hell?! (1)

In other news, I’m back on my quest for 52 as in 52 books read this year. 2013 was an underwhelming 40. I tried to blame it on long books (Anathem, Pillars of the Earth, a huge Washington biography), but my page count was also way down. This year I’m starting with some classic science fiction: Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. I am also co-moderating the “Read a Classic Challenge” group this year with my friend and his cousin, so please join on either Facebook or Goodreads and commit to reading just one great book this year! I also got into running last year, so I have resolved to run 100 miles this year. That sounds crazy ambitious, but I think I might actually hit that by March or April. Stay tuned.

Addendum: I just watched the video and it’s far better than what was on this CD. Apparently there are various remixes and edits of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment