Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4-6 (Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra/Evgeny Mravinsky, 1960)


Grim...grimmer...grimmest. The final three Tchaikovsky symphonies. These symphonies are DARK.

Probably not the best listening choice for the drive in, as the quiet parts were getting drowned out by the sound of my tires splashing through the wet streets.

I'm not sure my ear has developed enough to fully appreciate the Romantic era composers. It's not that I hate the music, but there is just so much going on that I kind of want to go back to the relatively simplicity of Bach or Mozart. Hopefully as I continue to listen and pour out random thoughts things will develop further.

I'm still in a holding pattern on my classical music collecting. In addition to Tchaikovsky, I still feel I need some more time to study and bond with the music before expanding further, otherwise everything gets all confused in my mind. I've got plenty of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment