Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Get Shorty Soundtrack (Various Artists, 1995)


My soundtrack collection is downright weird, mostly because I only have ones I got for free. Hence they all either came from the college radio era of my life or I snagged them as promo copies while working for Borders. In fact Get Shorty is an oddity among my soundtracks in that I actually saw the movie.

I guess Get Shorty was one of the better movies of the mid-1990's, where everyone was trying to create the next Pulp Fiction. All I can remember is thinking it was rather ho-hum, but that was so long ago I may need to watch it again and revise my opinion.

As for the soundtrack itself, it's a hybrid approach. It features original numbers by jack-of-all-trades John Lurie with incidental titles (e.g. "Chili at Airport"), most of which riff around the opening track by Us3. The song "Stink" often shows up in TV ads and movie previews. Counterbalancing these songs is a jazz rock mix of Morphine, Booker T & the MG's, MMW and Greyboy. Together they make for a mean mix tape. I suspect many folks (like myself, circa 1996) picked this up (via BMG Music Club as a poor college student) because it was the only way at the time to hear the weird track "Bo's Veranda" by Morphine.

Soundtracks are basically glorified mix tapes, but I still like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment