Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Psychedelic Experience, Vol. 1 (Various Artists, 1996)


Welcome to the world of obscure psych compilations. I discovered Volume 2 of this series many years ago and it took me a while to even locate a copy. Apparently Mystic Records in Sweden has a hard time competing with Interscope on these shores. It was such an obscure comp that even the resident music czar at the bookstore I was working at had never heard a single track before, and he was in his teens/20's when all this stuff came out. It never felt right to have just Volume 2, so I began my search for Volume 1. I finally found it, but man it was hard. First there is some other trance/techno series with the same name and even Amazon can't keep them straight. Finally some kind soul posted a link to the music files for the comp and my mission was accomplished. To be clear, I only do this as a last resort, and this was most definitely a last resort situation!

Volume 1 is a little different. First, there are little snippets of some unnamed song extolling/dreading the effects of LSD on the mind, as well as little spoken word testimonials, one of which sounds like Judy Garland, circa 1939. Did I mention this was weird? The tracks are all over the map, with a little more garage-sounding stuff than Volume 2, plus a few obviously-1970's tracks which sound out of place. The most kick-butt track on here is "Get On This Plane" by the Premiers, which runs circles around their Nuggets track "Farmer John". Also very good is a track by the Brass Toads, who are so obscure I know nothing about them except that they are from Texas.

This is definitely not an introductory set. My foray into Volume 2 didn't not get me interested in garage/psych compilations. I needed Nuggets and the aforementioned Instant Garage comp to give me a proper introduction. Now I'm all about the Dose series, Garage Beat '66, Psychedelic States, and Green Crystal Ties, and rapidly moving toward Back From the Grave, Pebbles, Rubble, and Trash. That's right, Trash. For the true connoisseur!

No comments:

Post a Comment