Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Glow in the Dark Soul (Spectacle, 1998)


The week is moving quickly and I'm already behind, so I'm keeping things brief. Spectacle is yet another flash-in-the-pan band I discovered via college radio in 1998 (see Arnold and the Naildrivers for more on this). Although it suffers from a little bit of filler in places, plus the dreaded "let's try everything and see what works" problem, it's a nice album and I'm sorry they didn't release anything else. I dig the trumpet accompaniments on a few of the tracks and there are a few tight pop songs that really fit the breathy vocals well. However I wouldn't feel too bad for the individual members that made up Spectacle as they would mostly go on to play in much longer-lived groups, though I've never heard of any of them (Further, Medicine, Beachwood Sparks, Moving Units). Oddly enough, this album was the only one that received a major label release. Like I said, flash in the pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment