Friday, March 7, 2014

Sharks (UFO, 2002)


The history of UFO is pretty darn impressive. Except for a little break in the late 1980's, they have pretty much been around continuously since 1969. Way back then they started as an enthusiastic but largely unsuccessful part of the space rock movement. However they were huge in Germany, which would ultimately draw in a mercurial guitarist named Michael Schenker, allowing them to ditch the space rock scene and propel them to super-stardom in the mid and late 1970's. By 1980, rock star problems began to tear at the band (Schenker and bassist Pete Way were notoriously erratic) and by the mid-1980's vocalist Phil Mogg was all by his lonesome. Except for a single album in the 1990's, the core quartet would be missing at least one of its key players on each album.

Here on Sharks, their sixteenth album, the missing man is Andy Parker, replaced by Aynsley Dunbar, who may actually have a shorter list of bands he has NOT drummed for than been the drummer of. However Schenker and Way are firmly back in the fold. In the case of the former, it is critical to the success of the album, because he's pretty much the one keeping things lively on the album. I have to say that Schenker actually turns in a surprisingly energetic performance, considering this is the last time he would play with them. Sadly, Way and especially Mogg feel particularly uninspired here. The lyrics are largely nostalgic and highly disappointed in modern times. No surprise, as the band isn't following any trend other than its own, as most bands do late in their careers, but 10 songs of "I'm a real man lost in the modern world" gets old fast. However, Mogg's voice has aged very well compared to his contemporaries. Of course it's lowered a bit, but its befitting for his age. I mean, how many singers in their 50's sound like they are in their 20's?! Even Sinatra can't make those kinds of claims.

I picked up this CD as a freebie from my retail days. Of course, this is definitely not the UFO album to start with, but I had no idea. With a little bit of band history under my belt, I think I can appreciate a bit more what UFO was doing around this time than on my initial listening. Now I think I'll go back to the space rock era for the long Friday drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment