Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Get Behind Me Satan (The White Stripes, 2005)


We last visited the Stripes in January, featuring their final album, so it seems fitting that our second visit should be the second-to-last album. There were more changes on this album than just Meg's hairdo and Jack's facial hair. The classic guitar/drums formula, save for three songs ("Blue Orchid", "Instinct Blues" and "Red Rain"), is tossed out here, with mostly acoustic guitar and key-based instruments anchoring the melodies.

This was a hard album for me to get into, but I have to say it's aged well and kept my drive into work today lively. I almost lost interest in the band altogether after hearing this album back around the time of its release, but the following album restored my faith. I think the problem with Get Behind Me Satan is that is grabs you on the first track, then kind of wanders off into marimba-world, whereas Icky Thump has an unremarkable opening track, followed by mostly solid album. I'll take the latter over the former any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment