Monday, March 10, 2014

A Short History of Nearly Everything (Bill Bryson, 2004)

Another five-star rating for this year's reading! I like to read history chronologically, so I thought what the hell, let's go back to the very beginning. In hindsight, this is much more of a science book than a history book and will probably get reclassed on my shelf as "nonfiction-other" (I don't have a "science" shelf) to put it in closer company with folks like Jared Diamond.

I just loved how Bryson tied the various elements of existence (cosmology, atoms, molecules, evolution) into a single work. Where there is actually history in the book, it's usually in the Age of Discovery, as various scientists and thinkers slowly unveiled the truths of the planet Earth. I would recommend this book for summer reading for AP Biology (and maybe Chemistry) students, or for prospective Jeopardy contestants. And of course it's Bill Bryson, so it's fun to read, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment