Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Rush (1974)


Long ago, I decided I was going to get into Rush big time, but for some reason I never got past the first album. I can't put my finger on why I stalled out so quickly, but I don't really think it was anything Rush did wrong. So, ironically, the one Rush album I have is the first one, before drumming legend Neil Peart signed on, which is probably full-on blasphemous to true Rush fans. Oh well, I am what I am.

The first album, released six years after the formation of the band, shows its influences, which are about 80% Led Zeppelin and 20% Black Sabbath. Not surprising, seeing that both bands were incredibly influential on bands recording in North America in the early and mid 1970's. While Geddy Lee channels Robert Plant here and there (especially on the opening track), Alex Lifeson wavers between Page and Iommi, sometimes employing a lower sound more stylistically closer to the latter. Since Peart would handle most of the lyrics on future albums, the trademark Rush lyrics aren't here, but there's a lot of "ooh baby", especially in the opener.

If you like a lot of band drama, don't look here. Rush is almost as boring as ZZ Top! While the band has musically been through a lot of changes, not all of them appealing, if you've found any of the stuff reviewed here even remotely interesting, they are worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment