Thursday, December 18, 2014

Music from Vanilla Sky (Various Artists, 2001)


Yep, that's a picture of Tom Cruise on my perfect little blog. Yay, randomness. I'm seriously amazed by anyone who can sustain a daily blog posting rate for longer than a year. By gum, the year has just two weeks to go and we are going to finish this beast!

As you probably know, I consider most soundtracks composed of pop songs (as opposed to original scores) to be glorified mix tapes. In fact, I would call them unsolicited mix tapes, given to you by somebody who doesn't know you very well as inevitably includes multiple WTF songs that you hate and routinely skip over. The Vanilla Sky soundtrack, which tries to be all weird things to all people, weird or not, is guilty as charged here.

I was a little surprised to read the overwhelmingly positive reception of the soundtrack, with Wikipedia even citing it as a reason for the success of the film (an English language remake of Abre los ojos). Maybe I need to see the movie for it to make sense, but it just seems like an uncomfortable mix of classic rock (Peter Gabriel, Todd Rundgren), "modern" rock (REM, Radiohead), and full-throated electronica (Leftfield, Looper). Maybe they are hoping that it will encourage people to diversify their listening interests, but it seems like fans of these genres like to keep to themselves. As in full evidence here, I obviously veer about different styles, though I have particular preferred flavors. I'm not sure the rest of the world consists of such diverse listening behaviors.

Possibly of interest is the "original" song included here by a certain Julie Gianni, which is the character played by Cameron Diaz. At least one other song (Paul McCartney's, the title track) probably was recorded expressly for the movie. It sounds like a bonus track to his album Driving Rain and is fairly standard Paul fare.

I swear someday I'll watch all the movies I have the soundtracks for. Most of them were plucked out of freebie bins. Compared to the others, this one is probably not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment