Monday, August 4, 2014

Mozart: Symphony #40, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, et. al. (Various, 1995)


At the risk of sounding like an advertisement, this is a great deal for anyone wanting their first taste of Mozart. I got mine from the World's Largest Store for under $4.00 in convenient mp3 format. I'm not sure why each individual track goes for $1.29 or who would want just individual tracks.

I'm not a classical music scholar, but this compilation presents top-notch legacy performances from Wilhelm Steinberg's Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra (the two title pieces) and Sir Colin Davis's Philharmonia and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Serenata Notturna and the Overtures), all dating from the early 1960's.

Now if somebody can tell me where I can find "Jupiter" (Symphony 41) without having to re-buy No. 40 and not pay a zillion dollars. It's hard enough to manage just one version a symphony; I'm too much of a novice to take on a second!

No comments:

Post a Comment