Wednesday, August 13, 2014

In Venice (Albrecht Mayer, 2008)


The oboe has dethroned the guitar this morning and a full-on celebration of all things Baroque is encompassing my work day.

This is another example of "careful what you wish for". In this case, I was telling my aunt "I'd like a copy of the Four Seasons" and next thing I know I get not only that (from the Academy of Ancient Music) but two Albrecht Mayer albums to boot, one that's all Bach, and this one, a whirlwind tour of Italian Baroque. After an isolated movement from "Winter", Mayer (with the New Seasons Ensemble backing him) delivers oboe concertos from Vivaldi, Platti, Marcello (Alessandro and Benedetto), Lotti, and Albinoni. In all fairness, I'm such a neophyte only the first and last names ring any bells with me. Nevertheless, the album has a strong theme throughout and flows nicely.

I'm not sure I can really use this as a jumping off point to explore new musical territory since I'm still inclined to stick to the best known works and get comfortable with them. However it's good to know that I don't have to settle for just Vivaldi, Handel, and Bach as I explore the Baroque period.

No comments:

Post a Comment