Friday, August 29, 2014

East-West (The Butterfield Blues Band, 1966)


This is another album that challenges my practice of genre-tagging these posts. Even though this band would run in some very rock-friendly circles, their brand of blues-rock came early enough and held true enough to the genre to warrant the coveted "blues" tag. Oh, and they actually put the word "blues" in their name, so extra points awarded.

The Butterfield Blues band played both Monterey Pop and Woodstock, which is mostly all I knew about the band. I learned from some very brisk reading that it sported an extremely fluid lineup, with Paul Butterfield being the only constant factor. This was the second and last album to feature Mike Bloomfield on guitar, who would leave shortly thereafter to form the Electric Flag, another mercurial kind of band and (weirdly enough) the provider of the soundtrack to Roger Corman's cult classic The Trip.

I actually picked this up from the library for my uncle who was looking to expand his blues collection. From what little I knew of the band, I didn't see the harm in adding it to my own collective along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment