Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Lost Souls (Doves, 2000)


I don't know a whole lot about Doves, I just kept a mental note in the back of my mind for over ten years that this may be a good album to pick up. They were playing the album over in the music section of the first Borders I worked at (this would be around 2001) and I liked it, especially "Sea Song". Of course I filed it way back, so it probably became muscle memory. When I was digging through the CD's at the library sometime last year I stumbled on this and like a bolt from the blue said, "The time has come!"

So, destiny has been fulfilled. Along with the likes of the Coral, Muse, and (in a moment of weakness) Franz Ferdinand, Doves seems to represent hope for recently made music. Sometimes I get so hung up on the five years (give or take) around 1970 that I give more recent music less attention. It's easy to get depressed by auto-tuned gobbledegook barfed out by Chris Brown or whoever won American Idol because they drown out the most honest stuff.

Now, if you will excuse me, I must return to "The Cedar Room".

No comments:

Post a Comment