Thursday, June 19, 2014

Sarah Vaughan With Clifford Brown (1954)


I'm in New Orleans all week (don't get too excited, it's for work), so everything is getting delayed this week, but I'm sure everything will be nice and caught up here by the weekend. Normally I like to listen to my hardest and fastest music on the flight (Attila, Billy Joel's old band is a favorite), so the randomness threw me for a loop with this album!

Some of the bestselling "jazz" albums of all time are by female vocalists. If I had a dollar for every time we played a Diana Krall song in the store when I worked for Borders, I wouldn't have needed to work there. Nor was I filled with any overwhelming need to collect heavily in this domain except for the designated standout recordings of which this belongs.

Although Vaughan was a few years into her solo career, this was only her fifth LP-length album, but that has more to do with the growing popularity of long-play records over singles. She would record fifty studio albums in her extensive career.

Meanwhile, Clifford Brown is keeping his hard bop inclinations tempered here. The following year they would be fully unleashed in his landmark collaborations with Max Roach. The year after that he would be dead at 26, short even by jazz standards, but car accidents tend not to discriminate between young and old when they happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment