Thursday, September 18, 2014

Garage Beat '66, Volume 7: That's How It Will Be! (Various Artists, 2007)


It's another chapter in my helter-skelter coverage of the Garage Beat '66 series. This was the last volume released in the series, released along with the sixth volume a couple years after the bulk of the series was released. It reverses the trend the was evident from the fourth volume onward of adding more psych to the mix. Every track here is from either 1966 or 1967 except for "I'm a King Bee", the sole representative from 1965. Aside from a few psych ruffles by the more familiar bands, the "strictly garage" mentality has returned, but with considerably more obscure bands. In fact, I've heard of very few of them. I think as Sundazed was reaching the exhaustion point of the series, they needed to turn to increasingly less known outfits to fill out the collection. This is fine; I like obscurity on these comps.

Just the way they were released I picked these up on an Amoeba run, a completely unexpected find. I had just assumed they were going to stop with the fifth volume. At the time I had hoped this would turn into a ridiculously long-running series (like Pebbles or something), but I think they were wise to wrap up at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment