Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Beowulf (Anonymous, c. 900)

File this one under "books I've always wanted to read but never got around to reading". Although technically not on my official list of classics to read, it was a bona fide prerequisite for the next book I had lined up, John Gardner's Grendel. I just couldn't justify reading that one without reading this one.

My Anglo-Saxon is a bit rusty, so I read the Seamus Heaney translation, which instantly became the gold standard of English translations upon its release in 2000. For the purists, the original (well, technically not the original, but essentially the same original language) appears on the left hand pages, while Heaney's translation, with light annotations appears on the right. Heaney's verse is fluid and easy to read and I never felt lost at any time. Sometimes vivid translations will take something away from the original, as I have noticed in various translations of Homer, but I will have to leave the verdict to others as to Heaney's liberties with the original.

To those who are thinking about watching the movie instead, beware. Grendel's mom definitely in no way, shape, or form would resemble Angelina Jolie even remotely. Besides, you might even be able to finish this book faster than the running time of the film.


No comments:

Post a Comment