Monday, April 14, 2014

The Greater Journey (David McCullough, 2012)

I'm happy to say that David McCullough has delivered the goods once again with his latest book, about the American experience in Paris in the 19th century. I was concerned he had slipped after reading the lackluster 1776, but this book reminded me as to why he is one of the finest authors of American history.

Probably the best part of the book was the center part, where diplomat Elihu Washburne found himself caught up in the wildfire events of the Franco-Prussian War and its aftermath. Even after all of the mayhem and destruction of 1870-1, Paris was back and stronger than ever within the decade.

There was a lot of art history in this book and it will definitely be an influence next time I happen upon any works by Cassatt, Saint-Gaudens, Sargent, Morse, or Healy.

I seem to be reading a lot of books about Paris for somebody that's never been there. What an armchair traveler I happen to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment